Sabbatical leaves are granted to faculty members only for purposes that will improve the ability of the recipient to discharge effectively his/her teaching, research or service obligations to the university, including:
1.Research and writing in the recipient’s field of specialization.
2.Regular attendance at classes or laboratories of a university or institution of higher learning.
3.Pursuance of an advanced degree in the recipient’s field of specialization.
4.Other specifically defined purposes which would clearly further the objectives of the sabbatical leave plan.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SABBATICAL LEAVE REQUESTS:
The Sabbatical Leave Application consists of four parts:
Part A – Faculty Member Information & Executive Summary
Part B – Sabbatical Plan
Part C – Financial & Reporting Attestation
Part D – Awarded Sabbatical Compensation Summary (to be submitted after the applicant has received award notification for their sabbatical)
- Step 1: Faculty applicants complete Parts A, B, & C and submit the forms to their department chair.*
- Step 2: Department chairs review the submitted applications and forward them (along with their ranking and brief explanation of support) to the dean of the college.
- Step 3: Each college dean reviews the applications and forwards them (along with their own ranking and brief explanation of support) to the Office for Faculty by December 3, 2021.
**Note that department chairs and deans might create earlier internal deadlines for faculty applicants in order to meet the final deadline. Faculty applicants should be cognizant of and meet any internal deadlines.
- Step 4: Faculty members who have been awarded a sabbatical will be notified.
- Step 5: Faculty members who are receiving a sabbatical will need to complete Part D and submit the completed form to their department by May 31, 2022.
- Step 6: Departments must submit two separate ePAFs in order to process the following correctly: (1) to adjust the leave status and (2) to adjust the salary and FTE change for the faculty member.
- Step 7: At the conclusion of the sabbatical the faculty member must submit a report to both the college dean and the Office for Faculty, highlighting the activities they have conducted during their sabbatical leave and the extent to which the purposes of the leave were met.
*Applications by faculty members holding appointments in more than one department or college shall be submitted to and be the subject of a recommendation from each cognizant chairperson, dean, and vice president. (see Policy 6-314)
Sabbatical Application Form – PARTS A, B, & C – updated October 2021
Sabbatical Application Form – PART D (Awarded Sabbatical Compensation Summary) – updated October 2021