Distinguished Faculty Service Award
Deadline: January 31, 2022
The Distinguished Faculty Service Award honors a faculty member who has demonstrated a commitment to the campus-community connection through a life of active, unpaid community service and the integration of service with research and teaching. Faculty service must be based on a long-term commitment to making a positive difference on the campus and in the community, and to the educational value gained by students through community work, beyond the traditional roles of faculty.
The Bennion Center will make a gift of $1,000 in honor of the award recipient to a nonprofit or charitable organization of the winner's choice. This gift is possible by a generous endowment gift from Dr. David M. Jabusch, professor emeritus, University of Utah Department of Communication, and Susan Jabusch.
Anyone at the University or in the community may nominate a faculty member. The recipient will be honored at the Bennion Center’s Spring Celebration and the University of Utah’s May commencement ceremonies.
Nominations for the Distinguished Faculty Service Award must include the following items:
- A letter that describes the nominee's significant contributions to the community;
- A letter of support from community recipients of the nominee’s service efforts;
- A letter of support from colleagues and/or students who can discuss the nominee’s commitment to service;
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae, with highlights of her/his community service and/or community engagement;
- The nominee’s philosophy of service.
Selection criteria include:
- Evidence that the service contributed is beyond the traditional role of a faculty member;
- Evidence that service has made a positive impact in the community and on campus;
- Evidence of a sustained and long-term commitment to campus and community service;
- Evidence of educational value gained by students through community work;
- Integration of the nominee's service with research and teaching.
When you are ready to apply for the Bennion Center Distinguished Faculty Service Award, assemble all materials into a single pdf file and email them to Amy Sibul by January 31, 2022.